Image Map

3.05.2012

Monday's Must Haves: The Maxi Dress

I'm going to be really honest right off that bat here. It took me a while to really accept the long, fabric over-the-knee-and-calf, potentially uncomfortable trend that is the maxi dress. Until recently, unless you were attending some sort of formal gala, getting married or attending said wedding, floor-length gowns were just out of the question. At least for me. I even bit the bullet and bought a cute cotton summery maxi a few years ago with the intent of totally latching on to the trend. It didn't happen. I couldn't pull myself to wear it and ended up giving it away to a friend who, in turn, totally rocked it. Oh well. Anyway, last year I was shopping for some bridal shower dresses before my wedding and my mom convinced me to purchase this floor length cotton and lace maxi (last seen here). Then she wore this adorable BCBG strapless cotton grey and white number to one of my showers and between the two being just so stinkin' cute, me being overwhelmed with girly wedding garb and the overflow of compliments on the two dresses we wore, I was hooked. My opinion has significantly changed on the garment and now I'm loving that, once again, they are on shelves and runways all over the place this spring.

Maxi dresses are such a youthful, fun, fresh take on the feminine pieces. They come in all colors, fabrics and styles and are made for all body types and ages. Those that might be a little vertically challenged can sport the look with a great pair of sky-high wedges or espadrilles, to really create a look that makes you look tall and elongated and ultra-chic. Those of us like my sister and I, who are taller and sometimes have trouble finding pieces that reach our ankles thanks to our twiggy, grasshopper legs, can pair the dresses with a great pair of gladiator sandals. Seriously, maxi dresses are a great look for any occasion this spring and can be worn by women of any age! So when you're looking for a great outfit to attend parties, showers, graduations or weddings, give a maxi dress a chance. You'll probably be suprised at how cute and trendy you'll look! Dress them up or dress them down, regardless, the maxi dress is definitely a hit for the spring season and definitely a must-have in your collection! Here are some great ones I've found:


This fabulous versatile maxi from TopShop is great! It can be dressed up with some sparkly jewels for a night out or dressed down with some fun flats and chunky necklace for a day of shopping!



This dress from Gap makes me so excited for the warm weather! It combines all of my favorite trends for the season - neons, color blocking, stripes...I mean, seriously? I'm fighting the urge to make a run to the mall for this bad boy. So fun, casual and girly..SO cute!



This dress from Zara is ah.maz.ing. I can't get over it. The grecian style and halter neck with the empire waist is super flattering on anyone. Paired with a great pair of turquoise, coral or gold statement earrings and some bangles around your wrist and you'll be a knockout wherever you choose to wear this look! I'm obsessed. I know, shocker.



Alright. This dress from Milly c/o shopbop.com might be the best thing since sliced bread. Between the fun, bold print, to the belted waist, to the vibrant shades of cobalt blue, white and chocolate brown, it's a total knock-out. I think I need it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment