Image Map

12.17.2012

Holiday Style Series: On a Dime


During the holidays it can daunting trying to find an outfit for those office parties, family get togethers or dinner with friends. After spending big bucks on all those perfect gifts you've gotten your loved ones, there tends to be little room in the budget to pick up that dress you've been drooling over at Saks for the last month. Bum.mer. I know.

When I find myself on a budget and unable to find something to wear that I feel like I've already worn 1,000 times in the last month (what girl doesn't feel this way even with a closet full of unworn clothes?!), I tend to take a step back and take a look at my favorite pieces. It's always a bonus when you can use items that are already in your closet and save a little cash!

If you're a lover of all things layers like me, then there's ALWAYS a way to reuse those items that you love so that you can create the perfect look for that event this weekend!

Dresses are a great place to start. While you can wear them in their true form and spruce them up with some great accessories, sometimes that look can feel a little exhausted. So, if you're in the mood for a comfy, cozy look that you can dress up with a great pair of heels or booties, then grab that dress, but change it up a little. Throw your favorite slouchy sweater over it, so the dress instantly becomes more of a skirt and you can have a fun new look, with items that you've worn a thousand times a thousand other ways.

That's what I did with this look. I have this fun jewel-toned printed shift dress that has a fun, summery, 70s feel to it. I've worn it by itself, wrapped a belt around it to give it some shape, thrown a cardigan around it and now, I've worn it as a skirt. I love the layered up look it creates, so comfy and so easy!

This look is so much fun for a happy hour with the girlfriends or a last minute shopping trip!

And, finding a great outfit for an event didn't cost me an extra penny! YIPPEE! 

So utilize those dresses + sweaters you have lying around, ladies! No need to break the Christmas gift budget this year. You may never have even thought to combine the two for an unexpected, cool look that you can take anywhere!






Sweater: F21; Dress worn as skirt: H&M; Scarf: F21; Boots; Target; Bag: Rebecca Minkoff; Watch: Michael Kors

No comments:

Post a Comment