Image Map

1.03.2012

Staple Items

I walked into my closet last night feeling a little overwhelmed. I've got so much stuff in there and am in dire need of a little spring cleaning. After looking through it all, I did a little thinking about my favorite pieces. My staple items. The items that I mix and match and pair with multiple outfits to create numerous looks. Here are my ten staples that I feel every female (of any age!) needs in her closet right now:


1) A great, fitted (or not if you prefer), long white tank. Mine was literally $4.99 from Forever 21 and I wear it probably much more than I need to because it's such a great layering piece. Here is a similar one.

2) Extra long, wide leg trouser jeans. You probably think I'm crazy, but I'm convinced that there really is not a single woman out there that doesn't look phenomenal in a pair of these bad boys. They make the legs look super long and balance out the width at the hip and are just oh-so flattering. Seriously. Not to mention I love pairing them with some high heels for a chic, boho 70s look. I have this pair from 7 For All Mankind, and I swear by them. However, Express and Joe's Jeans also have some fantastic, somewhat less pricey denim.

3) A black leather biker jacket. I absolutely LOVE leather jackets and think they add just the right amount of edge and sophistication to any outfit. Not to mention they're warm, so they're a bonus when the weather in Austin drops below 50 three times a year. Mine is definitely a go-to this time of year! Here's a great one from my favorite, Michael Kors. So fab. Have I mentioned how much I love black leather biker jackets?

4) Black skinny jeans. Jeggings. Whatever you may call them. I'm not kidding when I say I wear mine probably 4 times a week...which is borderline gross and embarassing. They are perfect for pairing with an over-sized button-down, scarf and some riding boots. Or with the white tank and biker jacket that I mentioned? Truly, they're so versatile and can go with all outfits, casual or dressy. Love them with a fun pair of pumps, as well. They make the legs look so long and slim! Gap has a great pair that is well-priced and will last for years. Totally worth the investment!

5) Anything leopard print. I love animal prints and leopard is so fun and so easy to wear in so many ways. Not to mention its the perfect, natural combo of brown and black and lets be honest, I love mixing brown and black. Leopard print is a great pop of a little something extra and is definitely on-trend through every season.

6) A gold watch and a fun statement necklace. Both of these items are simple and can be worn with a casual tee and jeans or dressed up for a night out on the town. When it comes to watches, Michael Kors wins my heart. This gold watch is my favorite and is chunky enough to be a statement piece. I also have this tortoise shell watch that I'm obsessed with and get compliments on probably once a day. Bottom line..Michael Kors watches=perfection. Every girl loves perfection, right?

7) A denim button-down. Oversized or fitted, whichever you prefer to wear. They are so fun and cute and can really transform any outfit for whatever look you want. I pair mine with pencil skirts for work and with my skinny jeans for nighttime outings. You can make them country and cute or chic and sophisticated..they really are a great piece to keep around! Here's a great one from Madewell.

8) Striped tee shirts. I love stripes, especially navy and white. The nautical look is one of my faves and I probably own too many navy and white striped tees. Regardless, whatever the color may be, stripes add a great pattern to any outfit. A striped tee with a pair of denim shorts or pants is definitely a weekly outfit for me. And you can find basic striped tees and shirts pretty much anywhere, which makes me happy.

9) Your favorite, best fitting little black dress. This is so cliche and exhausted, but you really can't go wrong with keeping one in your stash. Dressed up with sexy heels or down with ankle boots, the LBD is a must for any female.

10) A bright cardigan sweater. Or one in every color. Cardigans are SO easy to wear and really just make for simple, classy outfits with a great burst of color. You can wear them with anything at any time of year and they will make for a timeless, effortless look. J.Crew carries them pretty much year-round and has them in all different colors and prints. Definitely a favorite of mine!



These ten items are just a few of my go-to pieces that I find myself mixing and matching to create endless looks and outfits. It's amazing how far you can take just a few pieces, you'd be surprised at the cute and fashionable outfits you can create out of your ten favorite items in your closet!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the blog Blaine! You are too cute and I wish you could dress me everyday!

    ReplyDelete